Wayfindr eCourse: Audio-based Indoor and Outdoor Network Navigation System for Persons with Vision Impairment
High Level Overview Description:
The course provides proficiency in developing and installing audio navigation using Recommendation ITU-T F.921: Audio-Based Indoor and Outdoor Network Navigation System for Persons with Vision Impairment. This course includes an introduction to vision impairment and scrutinizes the steps required to design, implement and manage an audio-based navigation system for persons with vision impairment.
Accessibility professionals, architects, and app developers can be amongst the first professionals to obtain the ITU certificate in indoor digital audio-navigation; enabling full compliance with the standard and an excellent user experience.
Title of Modules:Module 1: Introduction to vision impairment: Types of vision impairments, mobility aids and techniques
Module 2: Introduction to wayfinding for persons with vision impairment
Module 3: Designing an indoor audio navigation system for persons with visual impairments
Module 4: Designing audio navigation instructions for persons with visual impairments
What will you learn?The course will:
- Teach you to become fully conversant with Wayfindr audio-based navigation for the planning, design and implementation of audio wayfinding solutions in compliance with ITU-T F.921.
- Enable you to understand the user experience requirements of a navigation app to make it work for persons with visual impairments and assure them that the app they use complies with the ITU Recommendation: it has all the requisite features and provides all the right notifications at the right times.
- Equip you to advise venue owners (transport companies, shopping malls, hospitals etc.) on how to install digital indoor audio-based navigation that is fully compliant with ITU-T F.921; thus adding to your current service portfolio.
Length of Course: 40 hours approximately
Target Audience: Accessibility Consultants, O&M Specialists, Architects, Engineers, Access Managers, Application Developers
Primary Learning Objectives and Outcomes:
- To become conversant with Wayfindr audio-based navigation for the planning, design and implementation of audio wayfinding solutions in compliance with Recommendation ITU-T F.921.
- By the end of the training, learners should be able to apply the recommended design principles in audio-based navigation systems to ensure that they are inclusive and meet the needs of persons with vision impairment. Specific learning outcomes can be found after the description of each module.
- The learner will be graded according to summative assessments. There will be 3 graded forum activities and 5 assessments, after each module and a final general one. To be entitled to the ITU accreditation, the learner is required to achieve at least a 60% pass rate in each assessment.
How to Access the Wayfindr eCourse
Register for Wayfindr eCourse on Audio-based Indoor and Outdoor Network Navigation System for Persons with Vision Impairment
Access course introduction (pdf.)
Learn more about Wayfindr
Format of Materials: Moodle
How to Provide Feedback:
Comments should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
What will make our profession strong is having you as a member. Regardless of your knowledge level in accessibility, we all play a role in growing this profession. Help guide us to being a great professional association serving our diverse needs.
Through use of IAAP Connections, you can join an existing discussion or even start your own. You can also blog, upload resources to libraries and join some of our committees.
Get involved today.
Make IAAP a strong community.