CPACC Frequently Asked Questions
When and where will the exam be offered?
What are certificants saying about CPACC?
What if I can’t make the date the exam is being offered?
How do I prepare for the exam?
How is the exam structured?
How long is the exam?
How much does it cost to take the exam?
How do I pay for the exam?
Can I retake an exam?
How do I register?
How is the CPACC exam scored?
What kind of information will I receive when I get my exam results?
When will I get my results?
Is the exam offered globally?
What is the official language of the exam?
I’ve registered for the certification exam but need to cancel. What is your cancellation policy?
I would like to change my scheduled appointment within the current exam window. What should I do?
I’ve registered for the exam but would like to take it in a different exam window. How do I do that?
What if I use assistive technology or need to request an accommodation to take the exam?
Who should take the professional level exam?
Who can I ask if I have additional questions?
For those who do use assistive technology, require an accommodation, or would simply like to take advantage of the convenience of a privately proctored exam or hosted exam, details for available locations or how to request a privately proctored exam is available on the Apply to Take a Certification Exam page.
For those who do not use assistive technology or require an accommodation that would like to take an exam at Kryterion Test Center you can view a list of Kryterion Test Center locations. Survey feedback and testimonials from certificants. Take a Certification Exam webpage. We offer six exam windows per year. Beginning in 2020 our exam windows will be four weeks long.
These options also include training through our Approved Certification Preparation Providers or you can purchase IAAP webinar bundles that cover specific topics you may need to learn more about prior to the exam. The CPACC Exam is 100 multiple-choice questions with four (4) possible responses. Each set of responses has one correct answer, one distractor that is almost correct, and two incorrect responses. Responses are selected by radio-button. The IAAP Exam is structured to be completed in two (2) hours unless an accommodation for additional time is requested.
CPACC exam fees:
- CPACC Exam - IAAP Member - $325 ($385 beginning May 2020)
- CPACC Exam - Non-Member - $425 ($485 beginning May 2020)
- CPACC Exam - Emerging and Developing Economies - $150 ($170 beginning May 2020) If you qualify for this rate, please indicate this on your exam application.
IAAP Membership and Certification applicant qualifications for Emerging & Developing Economies:
- Must be a citizen of a country on the Qualifying Country List (does not hold dual citizenship with a country that Is not on the list) AND is employed and residing in a country that is on the Qualifying Country list.
- Someone who is a citizen of a country on the Qualifying Country List (no dual citizenship) and going to school in a country that is not on the list could become a member under the student rate (discounted) and could gain their certification under the Emerging & Developing Country rate.
Payment can be made by credit card online or check. We can invoice organizations for individual and group exam billing. Be prepared to provide the name and contact details for the person to whom the invoice should be sent when you make the request for an invoice. Wire transfers are accepted, please ensure the proper account name is on any wire transfers.
Individuals who are not successful the first time taking the CPACC exam are eligible to retake the exam at a reduced rate if they retake within one year of the date of the original exam. Individuals can retake an exam up to three times in one year from their original exam date.
CPACC retake exam fees:
- CPACC Retake Exam - IAAP Member - $195 ($230 beginning June 2020 for May 2020 Exam window exams and beyond)
- CPACC Retake Exam - Non-Member - $255 ($290 beginning June 2020 for May 2020 Exam window exams and beyond)
- CPACC Retake Exam - Emerging and Developing Economies - $90 ($100 for May 2020 Exam window exams and beyond)
Each candidate must complete an application to verify your eligibility for the CPACC certification. Applications can be found on our apply to take a certification exam page.
Registration deadlines vary depending upon the location selected. See deadline dates for each location on the Certification home page.
All applications will be reviewed and verified by the IAAP Certification Management Team. Eligible candidates will receive a confirmation letter with further instructions regarding registration and payment for your exam. Please allow 3-5 days processing time after submitting your application.
The CPACC Exam is a pass/fail exam. We do not publish the cut score for the exam, this is not uncommon in professional certification programs. Feedback from each exam test window is reviewed relative to exam questions and responses. IAAP does not distribute raw scores. All CPACC exam evaluations are provided by a third-party who are exam psychometric professionals.
The CPACC Exam is a pass/fail exam, we do not issue percent scores. Our psychometric exam partners evaluate each candidate's exam responses. We evaluate and provide results to each exam window four to six weeks after the close of each exam window. We utilize a modified Angoff methodology and cut rate score exercise for each exam. This scoring practice is a recognized standard practice in certification examination evaluations. Our exam partners evaluate responses and statistically evaluate the exam results.
- A pass/fail result is generated based on your overall performance on the examination.
- IAAP does not issue percentage scores, but shares a scaled score outcome.
- IAAP does not provide specific responses indicating correct or incorrect.
- IAAP provides feedback to candidates regarding how they performed in each domain compared to the numeric standard.
- IAAP exam feedback for candidates is categorized as above, near, or below the standard for each domain.
CPACC Exam results will be sent by email to candidates within four (4) to six (6) weeks from the close of the testing window.
Why do results take so long?
- Test centers do not offer accessible platforms for those utilizing assistive technologies. If those taking exams at test centers were to receive an instant evaluation or score, this would create an inequitable situation.
- We also review the feedback from candidates on the exam items and responses along with the performance of each item. Should feedback or performance indicate a challenge with an item or respose(s) we adapt the scoring accordingly.
The exam is available anywhere in the world via a Kryterion testing centers (1,100+ Testing Centers in 120 countries) or with a prearranged volunteer proctor to oversee the exam administration.
The exam and preparation materials are currently offered in English.
The IAAP Certification Team must receive all requests for a cancellation/refund in writing, no less than four business days prior to the scheduled examination date and time.
You may email a request for a refund to the IAAP Certification team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for cancellations/refunds may be made only by the exam candidate.
Refunds will be issued less a $65 processing fee.
Failure to keep an appointment or canceling an appointment without the appropriate notice (four business days prior to the scheduled appointment) will result in forfeiture of all applicable exam fees.
If you have registered for an IAAP Exam and would like to change your appointment, please submit your request in writing to the IAAP Certification team via email at email@example.com.
Change requests within an exam window must be received more than four business days prior to your current exam appointment and more than one week in advance of your anticipated new exam administration. Requests that meet this criteria will not be charged a change fee.
Change requests received less than four business days prior to your current exam appointment will incur a $150 change fee. This expense must be paid more than one week in advance of your anticipated new exam administration.
Requests for transferring an examination appointment to a different exam window must be submitted to the IAAP Certification team in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer requests to a different exam window received at least four business days prior to the originally scheduled exam administration are subject to a $50 transfer fee.
Exam transfer requests received less than four business days will incur a $150 fee.
You will not receive a refund of your registration fees. These funds will be applied to your preferred exam window.
You will receive payment instructions from IAAP for how to pay your transfer fee.
Upon payment of the transfer fee, your registration fees will be considered complete for your preferred exam window.
A voucher will be provided to Kryterion Test takers for their online registration when the future exam window opens.
Transfers are eligible within one year of your original registration date.
IAAP is committed to offering an accessible test-taking environment. Please indicate any accommodation requests or use of assistive technology you have on the CPACC accommodations and assistive technology application form. You will be contacted by an IAAP Certification Team member to discuss your request and review the solution with you. Examples of accommodation requests and assistive technology are in the list below. You should bring your own internet capable device and any assistive technology you will utilize.
Screen reader (candidate brings their own AT to hosted or privately proctored exams)
- Text or Screen magnification - this includes text or screen magnification using standard controls including typical shortcuts for enlarging text (ctrl-+ / cmd-+), enlarging text/magnifiers (candidate brings their own AT to hosted or privately proctored exams)
- Additional Time - Additional time is simple for privately proctored and at IAAP Hosted Exams. (IAAP coordinates)
- Additional time can be coordinated at test centers, this requires an additional three day period, and you may be requested to provide alternate dates/times. We must ensure the test center has availability for the addtional time requested.
Sign Language Interpreter (IAAP coordinates)
Service Animal (candidate notifies IAAP)
Assistive Listening Device (may not be available in all locations)
Request for in-person privately proctored exam
The Professional-level credential is intended for accessibility professionals, for those who manage accessibility outcomes, and for anyone who plays a key role in ensuring that the digital and physical worlds are accessible to people with disabilities including:
Accessibility professionals in any field (e.g. web design, software engineering, hardware engineering, consumer and industrial product design, transportation, architecture and the built environment, educational accommodations, etc.), whose job requires in-depth accessibility expertise. Accessibility professionals should also consider IAAP technical-level certification, if available for their area of expertise.*
Project, program, or portfolio managers and executive leaders overseeing initiatives or organizations that focus on accessibility, or which include accessibility as a key component.
Anyone whose job requires accessibility awareness or competence
technology professionals in diverse specializations
architects and urban planners
international development professionals
disability rights activists
lawmakers and legal counsel
recreation and hospitality providers
teachers and professors
health care providers
emergency response coordinators
salespeople and support staff at accessibility consulting companies
Please email email@example.com or call +1-678-426-7645 with any questions on the certification process.
What will make our profession strong is having you as a member. Regardless of your knowledge level in accessibility, we all play a role in growing this profession. Help guide us to being a great professional association serving our diverse needs.
Through use of IAAP Connections, you can join an existing discussion or even start your own. You can also blog, upload resources to libraries and join some of our committees.
Get involved today.
Make IAAP a strong community.
Find out more about the IAAP Career Center!